Re: How do I dual boot a Dell Inspiron 8100?

On Jun 04, Katharine McCoy wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to partition my new Dell Inspiron 8100 so that I can
> install Debian on one of the partitions and keep winXP on the other partition
> (I'm a student, so I really do need both).  I don't have an actual installation
> CD for XP, so I'm trying to do this without wiping XP.
>
> Is this possible?  If so, how would I go about doing this?  Thanks for any help

yes, it's possible. Use a partitioning tool which supports NTFS (like
PartitionMagic) to reduce the size of the windows partition, this works
without loosing the data. Then there is space for linux.
For the bootloader again you need a tool which supports both worlds, one
possibility is to do some boot.ini-magic, but grub should work as well.
(When I had the same problem, lilo could not handle ntfs, I don't know if
the situation improved since then)

Andreas