Re: Fatal server error: no screens found

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Nick <nickmessenger@madasafish.com> wrote:

> I have installed Debian Woody 2.3 on a Toshiba Libretto 70CT notebook.
>
> When I type STARTX I get the following messages:
>

> (WW) Chips(0): Mode pool is empty
> (EE) Chips(0): No valid modes found
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>

> Is there anybody who has installed Debian on this model notebook successfully and knows how I can fix this problem.

I've installed debian on the Libretto 50CT - unfortunately I have since
upgraded to a sony picturebook (c1x, the dog slow model of the line) and
didn't think to save some of my configs (gave my 50CT to my older
brother).  I can, however, tell you that I found linux on laptops to be a
godsend, and I am quite sure I found a usable basic Xfree config through
that which I proceeded to tweak to no end.

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/toshiba.html
I see two for the 50CT and two for the 70 (one doesn't have the CT but I'm
not aware of any non-CT 70 model) ... the 50/60/70 are all *practically*
the same thing, just slightly different specs (I believe [[dont quote me]]
they're all the same hardware aside from ram/processor/hd).

There's also loads of interesting things to find at the Adorable Libretto
website - kind of a libretto fanclub.  (I oc'd my libretto from 75 to 100
this way.... well... purportedly, the only noticable difference was it ran
a little hotter - but I didn't benchmark extensively beforehand).

best of luck,
-Martin Norland