Re: Periodic distro question

Marco Fioretti wrote:
Hello,

not to drop gasoline on the fire, but, as an user of another distro
intending to try debian, I am obviously interested in the issues you
raise.

May I ask you to clarify a bit more what you mean by

"the extensive bloat that Debian has shown"

and "the continued abstraction levels of Debian"?

(remember, personally I know well other distributions, not
debian yet: I subscribed to debian-laptop because it is my
intention to try it on an old laptop I have).

	TIA,

		Marco Fioretti

It seems that the term bloat is a poor description. It's not a bloated as some, I guess. Or so I've been told.

But their is a level of abstraction that has jumped up a level in the last year and I'm getting a little lost. I'm not sure where things are kept. It might be me not finding things properly. But I will be honest. The Debian distro is a pretty good set-up and worth some looking into. But it might take several months to become familiar enough with the distribution to give it an honest assessment.

What you have heard from me is a fit of pique as I am very frustrated with many things Linux.

I've had this computer for over a year and have never been able to get the sound to work correctly.

I think one of the biggest problems I have found with all distro's I've looked at was the documentation. Slackware was very, very well documented, but only in the files themselves.
I'm not familiar enough with RedHat or Suse to be a good judge.
I moved off of Slackware because of the extensive work involved in any installations. I was growing tired of spending an entire day RTM-ing in order to install apache. Maybe that was what I needed to do though, as I then know exactly what I had. Debian, and any highly automated distro, has a problem in that it becomes so easy to install hundreds of applications that you quickly loose track of what you do have on your system. Windows, of course, is very much like this. On the other hand, with hand-rolled distro's you know every nuance of your system, but it takes a long time to install anything.