Re: [ltp] Periodic distro question

Personally I'd have to say that basically Linux has gotten HUGELY more
complex than it used to be. I remember back in the days of the 0.99 series
kernels, when Yggdrasil was THE only "distribution" and then Slackware came
along and everyone thought that was complex and unwieldy!

The point is, back then Linux fit on about 12 diskettes and it was 100%
tarballs. There were only something like at most 100 "packages" and most of
those were pretty basic stuff. Now even Slackware must have upwards of 1000
packages, and Mandrake 8.1's BASIC install is 2049 RPMs.

Even this wouldn't be so bad if that was where complexity ended. The problem
is we ask our systems to be so much more flexible nowadays than ever before.
I have an A20p for instance, and I expect it to work reliably in the office,
at home (on my home LAN), and on the road connecting to things via the net
using dial-up. I've got USB devices that appear and disappear, CD-R/W and DVD
drives that can added or removed, PC Cards, wireless LANS that come and go,
etc etc etc. There must be dozens of different possible configurations my
system routinely finds itself in. Thats not even to mention all the
possibilities of suspending at the office and resuming when I get home or
whatnot.

The answer my friend is that you are just going to have to live with it. ALL
the distros are complex. Given the open source nature of Linux and the way
distros are put together its not ever going to be possible for them to button
all this stuff down into one tight little box the way MS tries to with
Windows either. Notice, they TRY to, and they have always failed even so!
Same with Apple. MacOS and now the new OS X are just as ugly and complicated.

My bet is that someday each hardware will simply have its own specific
distribution built by the hardware vendor from a common "core" and you will
just go to whomever you like to have core functions updated. Even so the
config things will remain.

It would be nice (and it may happen) that Linux will get some sort of more
advanced conventions on configuring all the subsystems together. That would
be nice, but I won't hold my breath.