Re: newbie soundcard problem

> hello debian laptop list!
>
> i'm a complete linux newbie who's recently installed debian 2.2.17 on a
> toshiba tecra 8000. everything seems to have worked ok except for the
> soundcard. i use wmaker, and using the cdplayer or other sound utilities i
> get no sound whatsoever. when i run gnome-session, i get a string of error
> messages saying '\dev\dsp: no such device." when i run 'car \dev\sndstat' i
> show no drivers loaded.
>
> so, all this leads me to believe i need to load a driver for the soundcard,
> which is a yamaha opl-sa3. however, i'm not sure how i do that! i tried
> running dselect, but i don't see any sound driver packages, and i'm kind of
> at a loss as to how to configure the sound driver. if someone could help me
> out, or point me towards a website that would help, i would really
> appreciate it!
>
> best,
> nick phillips

I'm sure I've seen that type of soundcard in the make menuconfig;  that'd mean
it's directly supported in the kernel.  Obviously you'd only have one soundcard
so even those are modules.  look in /lib/modules/2.2.17 and see if there aren't
any modules in there (almost certainly under misc) which mention opl.

You can use modprobe to load them, and whichever one makes your systen happy
enough to make sounds with something simple like "play", you can tell
a file in /etc/modutils to make it a permanent part of your setup.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...