Re: Getting CardBus NIC support from Woody floppies

Shay Elkin writes:

> My ethernet card is a LG GoldStream which is actually an RealTek 8139
> based.

> Alas, the installation floppies doesn't have the appropriate modules
> (http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html).

I own a similar RealTek 8139 based CardBus card and it won't work with
these drivers as CardBus support requires special plug and play support
From the kernel, and this will work best with the 2.4 series. You'll
have better results with the 8139too module, however I have tried many
times to get it to work with Adrian Bunk's kernel images, and never got
success. The module won't load because of a memory problem or something,
so I guess recompiling the kernel with more appropriate settings would
be the way to go.

I actually never find time to do it, so I'm running RedHat 7.2 on this
laptop, the card is recognized right during the startup and you can use
it during the installation process.

> As I have no other Linux box around, I wonder if someone compiled the
> mentioned modules for the woody floppies enviroment, or if not, is
> someone willing to?

Even if someone did, I doubt it would work at all.

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com>
it's a miracle! -- http://www.orebokech.com/