Re: Working and economic wireless solution

Linux Journal (or was it Linux Magazine?) had a great issue
devoted to SOHO computing a month or two ago.  It dealt with
this in some detail.

Upshot was: you don't need an access point if you have a
computer running linux that you can use to make the bridge.
Two pcmcia 802.11b cards will happily talk to each other
without an access point, and your stationary linux box can
be the bridge.  Ssh provides much better security than WEP
anyhow.