Re: Newbie Questions

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:10:50PM -0400, Designer wrote:
> Hello Debian Laptop List,
>

> I'm going to purchase a new portable, but, I'm having trouble getting
> specific hardware information. By trade I'm an embedded systems
> programmer. Here goes:
>
> 1. Is there documentation with information that I can read and not
> bother the list with these basic(stupid) questions?

<http://www.linux-laptop.net> has tons of links to individual's web
pages which contain various tips, configurations,...

> 2. Does anyone know of a portable with (2) or more serial ports.

When I was laptop shopping last summer it appeared that laptops with
even single RS-232 ports were becoming rare on laptops. Probably some
USB->serial dongles would be your best bet.

> 7. 802.11??? support for Wireless ethernet under Debian.

I've been having best luck lately with the wlan-ng drivers from
<http://www.linux-wlan.com/>. I started out using the kernel orinoco
drivers, which worked pretty well, but after a few kernel recompiles
and ACPI upgrades the orinoco drivers' performance went in the toilet
and finally quit working. I suspect some sort of IRQ conflict. I found
it to be easiest to simply switch drivers.

> 8. Entertainment: I'd like to copy  my extensive DVD collection to a
> Debian System, and make it available on the net. Any pointers to tools?
> The idea I have was to set up a "check-out" system. When somebody checks
> out one of my DVD's I remove that DVD from availability in my library.
> When that person, acknowledges that they are finished watching the
> movie, and have subsequently deleted the checked out copy(verification
> not necessary), then the DVD is again available over the net. This
> scheme should be legal.....

Except that you would have to bypass the encryptation on the DVD and
would thereby be violating DMCA. Also, you probably should google on
"RIAA vs. mp3.com".

HTH
dt

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all