runlevel 3 for a console login SOLVED

Got it working now! Thanks to all who responded with ideas.

I did a

update-rc.d -f xdm remove

and rebooted, but found it loading a GUI-based login screen.

So I looked in my /etc/rc?.d directories, and noticed I had the other window
managers gdm and kdm still in there.

So I did a

update-rc.d -f gdm remove
update-rc.d -f kdm remove

and I rebooted; it booted and opened to a console command-based login.  Many
thanks!! this has been bugging me for weeks! Running an older laptop means
that I like working in the command-line as much as possible, to move around
quickly, and make the best use of my limited cpu speed (177 Mhz) and ram size
(80 MB).

Gale Stafford