Re: Installing Debian on a Toshiba Satellite 2775XDVD

>   Hi.
>   I have used Linux on clients' computers, and would like to install Debian
> on my Toshiba Satellite 2775XDVD. She is running Windows 98, which I'll
> have to keep, as my local clients in the city of Sydney are wedded to MS
> Word. As far as I know, which isn't very far, I have to run MS Word under
> Windows.

You can use www.openoffice.org to view m$ office docs, with basic
compatibility. Basic compatibility means you will be able to open docs,
view and motify them, but displaying and layout may not be exactly the
same as with m$ programmes.

>   I'm thinking that what I want to do must be pretty common, but I'm wary
> of bringing my machine down. As the Toshiba corporation is consummately
> unhelpful, and will not even reply to registered letters, I have been
> lurking on this list all this month.

Try finding at www.linux-laptop.net whether your machine is fully
linux-compatible.
Do you have handy tech support available in case of trouble? (friends,
computer shops, ...)

>   I'm between writing contracts at the moment, so have a time envelope to
> take risks in. Is there something I should know before I install Linux?

It is quite advisable to write down all the things you need to do with
your computer. Surfing the net and writing docs is ok, but maybe you
really need a specialized application only available in win9x...
It is also important to have an exact list of the components of your
laptop, but as I pointed before, chech www.linux-laptop.net

>   I would be glad of your experience.
>   Thank you very much.
>   All the best
> -Chester Graham

Good luck :-)

--
Cuando muera, donare mi cuerpo a la ciencia-ficcion!