Re: Installing problems on X22

> On Sunday 16 December 2001 16:17, Ross Burton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just tried to install Debian onto my X22 laptop.  I booted the
> > CD but the kernel hangs on "md driver...".  Does anyone know how to
> > get around this?  I could install RH72 which LinuxCare say installs
> > fine, but I'd rather stick with Debian.
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> > Ross
>
> Hi Ross,
>
> I've read on the list that it's possible to boot with a different
> debian CD. It seems there're different boot kernels on different debian
> CDs.
>
> Alternatively you can try to use different boot disks. There're some
> unofficial boot disks floating around with reiserfs or ext3 support for
> example.
>
> IIRC the md driver is for logical volumes or raid. May be the recovery
> partition caused the md driver to hang.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

You might try the LNX-BBC (http://www.lnx-bbc.org) ... it has two different
debian installers available.  You'd boot up into its rescue environment,
set up the partitioning you want, get things mounted up on your own.  It
has crude support for these fs' because it's intended as a rescue disk.
Its kernel supports a wide variety of raid devices, in case you need that too.

If you get yourself into X on the lnx-bbc, then once you've got your target
areas mounted up, you can invoke the installer from the menu.  Outside X you
either have to know what they're called or poke around a bit.  debootstrap
is one of them but I don't remember how clear the command syntax is.  Luckily
debootstrap's really a script, so you can just read it...

#include<involved.h> /* I'm a member of the project, I'm kinda pleased w/it */

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...