Framebuffer on Thinkpad 560

Hello there,

Has anybody got the VESA framebuffer to work on a Thinkpad 560? I compiled
a new kernel, with VESA fb and all the other things stated in the
framebuffer-HOWTO activated, put vga=ask in my lilo.conf,
reran lilo and rebooted. I get to the menu, where I can choose the mode,
there are only the text modes, as described in
Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt. However the documentation states, I can enter
the VESA mode numbers. So I entered 0303 (800x600x256): it says:
Unknown mode ID: try again
I entered 0x303, same thing again. I tried 0103, machine booted, however
in stupid 80x25 textmode.
The ThinkPad technical reference states, that VESA103 is defined in the
BIOS, so it should be possible to run it.
So how do I get to the cute little penguin logo (and furthermore run in a
nice console geometry).
And another problem concerning X (svga-server):
When I switch the screen back on after the kernel has blanked it in X (not
xscreensaver), I get a moving wavy pattern across the screen. The awful
thing is, that it doesn't go away, when I switch back to console. I
have to reboot to have it restored. (Have not yet tried restoretextmode,
however I will as soon as it happens again). How can one fix this (if
restoretextmode would work, it would also be annoying, as I would have to
switch to the console, solution in X would surely be the best). By the
way, it does NOT happen, when I'm on the console.

Regards,
Daniel