Prostar 8593/Realtek 8139 NIC

I finally got debian installed (potato) on this laptop.  I've been
trying to get the laptop to use the NIC but I've been having problems.

I've compiled both drivers into the kernel seperately (realtek 8139, and
realtek8139too)

With just the driver, ifup etho gives me "resources temporarily
unavailable".  With some suggestions I tried to pass kernel parameters
through lilo with:

append="ether=10,0x1800,eth0"

dmesg | grep eth0 shows that it got the I/O address right, but the IRQ
setting is still 0.  When I do ifup eth0 now, I get operation failed
instead.

Any suggestions welcome,

Jeffrey Schoolcraft