Re: Thinkpad video and digital camera issues

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 03:30:35AM -0700, William R. Ward wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad 760 XD, and there's a "video in" port.  I have the
> cable which connects to it and has an S-video and composite input.
> Can this be used under Linux?  If so, how?
>
> Also, I bought an Olympus Camedia D-360L digital camera.  I want to
> upload images into the Thinkpad.  There are two ways: RS-232 or
> SmartMedia.  I tried with several different packages to get the RS-232
> interface to work, and couldn't get any results.  But it works like a
> charm with the Windows software they include, of course.
>
> The ADI SmartMedia/PCMCIA card I bought doesn't seem to be recognized
> at all (the computer doesn't even realize it's been plugged in).
> Should I just take it back for a refund?  What other brands are there
> that you would recommend instead?  Or is there something else I can
> try to make this one work?
>
> --

I am not sure if I have the same smartmedia pcmcia adaptor as you. But
the one I have works beautifully, I insert the pcmcia card, then the
smartmedia card. Hear the two beeps (you get no beep until the smarmedia
card is inserted) then mount the card to some mountpoint. It appears as
an IDE interface to a dos formatted partition.
 One wierdness though, twice I have somehow destroyed the smartmedia
such that it no longer is formatted or registers as a proper block
device. I have no idea why, and it makes me somewhat nervouse. But other
than that minor (?) issue, all is well.
 Anyone else have this problem with smartmedia in general? or is it just
me?

--
Jim Richardson
	Anarchist, pagan and proud of it