Re: apmd on Dell Inspiron 7500

Hi Iain

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 02:01:26PM +0100, Iain Kennedy wrote:

> I've got a Dell Inspiron 7500 and have tried compiling the apm in the
> kernel with several different configurations.. the battery monitor and all
> that good stuff works fine, but I've never had any luck with resuming
> after a suspend (I close the lid and the machine freezes completely).
>
> The machine also suspends when I use the Fn-Suspend key combination, but I
> can not get it to wake up at all.
>
> Has anybody had any success with this?

I have some good news and some bad news for you.

The good news is that I also have a Dell Inspiron 7500, and for me I have no
problems at all with apm!

The bad news is that I built my own kernel.

> I'm running kernel-2.2.18pre21 with potato. I've also at various times run
> RedHat from versions 5.2 - 6.2 and never had any success with this
> problem.

The problem with pre-built kernals is that one size fits all.  In the APM
support some of the options have to be turned on for one laptop type and
off for another.  The best way of getting it to work is to configure
your own kernel.

--
 \____|\___/|____/|____/ \___/   steve.dobson@krasnegar.demon.co.uk