Re: dell inspiron 4000, 3com miniPCI 3c556 (vortex)

> I've got potato installed on the machine (base + a few bits) but
> whenever I try to load the 3c59x (vortex) kernel module, it
> craps out with (paraphrased):  "device or resource busy".
> I verified that the card (and the other hardware) were working
> fine under the preinstalled windoze environment before blowing
> it away and the NIC continues to work fine under the FreeBSD
> installation I have on another partition.
>
> Web searches had led me to the home page for a fellow named
> Fred Maciel who had apparently patched Donald Becker's vortex
> driver to support this card and the notes on the web page
> indicated that the patches had been included in kernel 2.2.17.
>
> However, Fred's home page seems to have disappeared....
> (It was at  http://www2.neweb.ne.jp/wd/fbm/3c556/ )
>
> I was all set to get fresh kernel sources and try to apply the
> patch myself to see if that would get things working but, well,
> the patches went with the page....  :-(

You might want to check the changelog for 2.2.18pre<whatever rev Alan
Cox is up to now> ... he is quite a sound fan, so he might have fixed
it while you weren't looking, or alternatively, it would be worth letting
him know that it still isn't handled properly.

> Anyone have experiences/suggestions/etc.?

Yeah, when you succeed, make a deb for yourself with your kernel parts,
and keep it in a safe place in case you need it.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...