Sound on Thinkpad 390X

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Alexander Zangerl wrote:

> slightly offtopic: did you have any luck with the soundchip in the
> 390x (ess es1969, solo-1)? in my box it only works when i've got the
> system in the dockingstation but does not work at all...only garbled
> white noise.

I have had similar problems.  Sound works fine on audio CDs.  However,
real audio and mp3s come out garbled.  In my past experience with the
390E, I figured out that the 390E requires a 2.2.15 kernel to have real
audio working correctly.  I am running 2.2.15 on the 390X and sound is
garbled.  I imagine that a newer kernel will eventually fix this --
haven't tried 2.2.16.  Hopefully a fix isn't far away though.

Bryan