Re: apt-cache (was as86 ...)

From: Chris Waters <xtifr@cp.net>
Subject: Re: apt-cache (was as86 ...)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 21:37:20 +0000

> Brendan Simon wrote:

> > I think it can.  Try it on a package that you haven't got installed.
> > Brendan Simon.
>
> No -- the reason it works in this particular case is because as86 is
> mentioned in the description of bin86.  If a file isn't mentioned in the
> description, or somewhere similar, apt-cache search won't find it.

darn, thought that might be the case.

as a side note, does anyone have a fool-proof way of determining which
package a file on a given system "belongs" to?  typically, i grep
among /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list, but i don't think this will turn up
files that are created during the installation process (as compared to
files that are included inside of debian packages that just get
unpacked).