Re: apt-cache (was as86 ...)

Brendan Simon wrote:
> sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:
> > From: Brendan J Simon <brendan.simon@ctam.com.au>

> > > I find "apt-cache" very useful.  I use it to search for package names or items
> > > within packages.
> > > eg.
> > > apt-cache search as86
> > > apt-cache pkgnames | grep 86

> > ah, quite useful that ;-)

> > i thought apt-cache was not able to tell you what package a file might
> > be contained in unless the package was already installed though.  can
> > it do that?  if it can, that'd be fantastic!

> I think it can.  Try it on a package that you haven't got installed.
> Brendan Simon.

No -- the reason it works in this particular case is because as86 is
mentioned in the description of bin86.  If a file isn't mentioned in the
description, or somewhere similar, apt-cache search won't find it.

cheers
--
Chris Waters, Systems Engineer, Critical Path, Inc.
phone: 1(415) 344-5518 or 1(415) 254-5913 (mobile)