Debian startup and network scripts

Can someone point me to a good tutorial or howto about Debian's methods
of booting and starting networking?    I reinstalled Potato on my
laptop.  During the install I couldn't dhcp, so I had to borrow and set
a static IP.  I want to be certain that the machine is now doing dhcp,
plus it would be good just to know about these subjects anyway.  If
anyone has a test for dhcp that I can carry out please send that, too.
Thanks.

--
Charles H. Baker, Manager Student MicroComputer Labs
http://www.utc.edu/StudentMicroLabs/