Re: pcmcia problems on network potato install

I've had similar problems with a xircom cardbus (32-bit) network card.
I use dhclient from the dhcp-client package to get all the network
info. The card configures itself with dhcp, but doesn't seem to work
with other network traffic until it sees outgoing traffic while in
promiscuous mode. Just putting the card into promiscuous mode doesn't
seem to work for me.

In one window I

  ping another_local_system

then in another window I

  sudo tcpdump -i eth0

After starting tcpdump, I start seeing responses to the ping. I can
then kill tcpdump and the card will continue working properly.

You're not crazy. There are known "issues" with these cards. I have a
xircom pcmcia (16-bit) card that works fine.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com