Re: HD spindown and fs cache writeback

> Mobile-update won't work on kernels 2.2.11 and above, as the
> sys_bdflush call will make it do_exit(0) on first call.  And
> noflushd _requires_ 2.2.11 or above, so noflushd and mobile-update
> will be mutually exclusive.
>
> Also, I didn't set the noatime option for mount and this all still
> seemed fine.
This sounds really strange to me... I am using k2.2.15  and run
mobile-update on  startup, and for sure WindowMaker tries to access its
configuration files every three seconds or so. (Also true that I didn't
check whether mobile-update is behaving as it should)

The sure thing is, my hard disk *does* spins down and stays quiet, even if
it may be such that I do not have any special 'update' daemon in place. I
bet that the "noatime" was enough for me then, but I'll have a look at
noflushd if it can really do better than what I already got.

Thanks for the info.
raph