Re: sound on 8100

Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Peter Firmstone <q8902929@topaz.cqu.edu.au> was heard to say:
> | > Has anybody successfully installed any sound on the tecra 8100?
>
> Nope, but it's next on my list :-)
>
> | > Here is my current problem:
> | > 1) running anything but oss ; doesn't work;
> | > 2) running oss with no x & apmd killed ; works great;
>
> What drivers?
>
> | I suspect your sound card is a Yahama opl3-sa3.  Have a look in your
> | boot
> | sequence or "$/bin/dmesg | more " to see what your kernel thinks the
> | sound card
>
> I've been trying to build sound support as a module, so I don't see
> any messages (even when I try to load the modules), but on my 8100,
> Win98 says there are two sound devices:
>
>   Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System
>     (IRQ 5, DMA 01, I/O 220-22F, ...)
>
> and
>
>   Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC
>     (IRQ 11, I/O FF00-FF3F, ...)
>
> | Failing that tell us more about your hardware, maybe send us the output
> | of
> | /bin/dmesg.
>
> Any thoughts?

> --
> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | 'I have done that,' says my memory. 'I
> http://nwalsh.com/            | cannot have done that'--says my pride,
>                               | and remains adamant. At last--memory
>                               | yields.--Nietzsche

Hey Norm,

Here's a lead, I'm afraid the oss sound driver isn't suitable, your going to
have to track down the driver, I looked in the developement kernel docs
(that doesn't mean its not in there though) I couldn't see it.

Try emailing these fella's, let us know on the list how you go too.

Cheers,

Peter Firmstone.