Re: Ethernet Card

On Mon, 15 May 2000, karthikeyan gourisankaran wrote:

> hi. I just installed debian on my laptop toshiba
>  satellite 2595cdt. I have a pcmcis 3ComLan PC
>  card(3ccfe574bt lan pc card). I do not know how to
>  install it ie what drivers/modules to use(i am a
>  newbie;bear with me).Can someone sugggest something
>  to get my ethernet to work). The probe command worked
> and identified the two PCIs on my laptop.I need to
> down load some files to configure my X window.

	To install the pcmcia drivers is easy enough however think for a
brief moment what you plan to do with you laptop?  I am assuming you have
installed a copy of the debian CD, however this cd is *very* old.  This CD
is enough to get you laptop online to upgrade your machine with
apt-get.  apt-get is a very useful utility that looks at what you have on
your machine and can upgrade everything on one (or two) upgrade
sessions.  apt-get can also be used to install new packages or remove old
ones you don't need anymore.
	However apt-get is really best used by those who have about a
10Mbps connection to the internet or free unlimited time for internet
usage.  If you can get access to a high bandwidth connection or unlimited
free time on the internet then apt-get is suitable, however if not an
alternative is needed.
	Mail me (personnally or through this mailing list) and tell me
about your (internet) situation and what you want your laptop to finally
do or be and I will help guide you as simply (and cheaply) as I can on how
to do this.

Alex

PS  I'm also assuming you are a beginner at linux.  Believe me there
will be times when you will wish to throw your laptop out a window and
smash it into thousands of pieces.  Linux (especially on a laptop) for a
first timer can be a real b*$!£d however you will quickly learn from you
mistakes.

--
**       ((__))  Alexander "Jim diGriz" "Hubenko" Clouter