Re: hmmm tweaked too much

> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Heather wrote:
> >
> > MTRR support is a fairly new kernel option.  You might have to recompile
> > a kernel to get it set.  (anyone know if it was selected during the 2.2.15
> > compile making kernel-image and pcmcia-modules?)
> >
> however it was working fine before the upgrade to X.  It is regardless of
> what linux kernel version I am running.  2.2.14 used to work fine, I
> upgraded to X 4.0, problem begins so I upgrade kernel to 2.2.15 and still
> the problem is present :(

That is why I questioned if anyone knew what options have been selected in the
"kit" kernel that you get if you install the precompiled binary via
kernel-image-2.2.15.  It is an -option- in that kernel version, which had to
be selected at compile time.

And, as I'm not yet playing with X 4, I don't know if it will help, but it
mentioned MTRR's so I figured you'd want to know.

> > > (2)  The computer now runs at about 1/6 the speed after the resume and the
> > > "beeping" it makes is now also reduced to about 1/6 the original
> > > speed.  So beeping errors under the console last ages.  I upgraded from
> > > 2.2.14 to 2.2.15 to see if that helped but no.  The laptop becomes very
> > > unstable and sometimes I get kernel panics and things don't really
> > > run.  Hence why I need a reset.  I'm sure (somehow) that X is responsible
> > > as as soon as it was installed everything started going haywire.  with
> > > 3.3.6 all was okay (except one or two things, see later).
> >
> > Eek.  Something about registers, I'm guessing.
> >
> what registers?  The ones in the CPU?

Probably not; probably the brains in your video card.  Video cards are actually
a sort of a "secretary" that agree to take over complex video functions; they
have their own clock processors and uusually functions for recognizing and/or
optimizing a lot of graphical work.  But this almost makes them a computer
running inside your computer - and it can be fed instructions by your X server
that send it into lala land as readily as certain kinds of CPU work done wrong
could send your CPU into hyperspace.  Only when your video Brain is "hung" in
this way, you can usually see the disaster on your screen.

> > > (3)  Transparent icons and text do not work.  This is damn irritating
> > > mainly as wmpinboard has the most nasty yellow background I have ever
> > > seen.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  This is more a cosmetic touch but
> > > would be nice to fix as its probably very easy too.  I've searched the X
> > > source and documentation and been unable to find anything useful.  In deja
> > > the DPMS (???) has been linked to the lack of transparent icons under X
> > > 4.0 as KDE apparently reports this.
> >
> > I'd consider this annoying enough to call X not working, if it were me.
> >
> I can live with it.  Apparently I may need to get the DGA module
> loaded.  However I have tried and it won't load :(  Or I think it
> won't.  I tried a xdpyinfo but it says it hasn't loaded.

Hmm.  ltrace or strace it and see what's going on when it bails out?

> > That creepy palette-shift melting effect, or ugly crazy lines?  I think that
> > one means horiz sync is being overflowed, the other, the vertical, but I
> > don't know which one is which...
> >
> > I have in the past usually resorted to a long session of forcing X to use
> > a specific modeline (expecting to have to bail via ^alt-backsp or Hard Power
> > many times) until I get one that looks kinda okay, even if imperfect.  Then
> > I go nuts with xvidtune.
> >
> > In a few cases I've found a laptop simply not caring about those so long as
> > its dotclock is happy.
> >
> > Did you ever try framebuffer support, and if so, did it work, complain,
> > suffer the same tiny disasters...?
> >
> Thats worth trying.....I'll give it a go.

Yeah.  I'll add, if you can find two modes that work, even for really crappy
values of "work", you can use the Video Timings Howto to craft other modes that
should also work.  And one maybe enough for you.

> > I know the above has a lot less direct answer than I usually offer, but
> > I figured I'd give it a shot.
> >
> Its better someone actually gave hints (or even said they don't have a
> clue on one or two things) rather than staying silent.
>
> thanks lots
> Alex

You're welcome!

-* Heather Stern * star@starshine.org *-