Re: hmmm tweaked too much

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Heather wrote:

> MTRR support is a fairly new kernel option.  You might have to recompile
> a kernel to get it set.  (anyone know if it was selected during the 2.2.15
> compile making kernel-image and pcmcia-modules?)

however it was working fine before the upgrade to X.  It is regardless of
what linux kernel version I am running.  2.2.14 used to work fine, I
upgraded to X 4.0, problem begins so I upgrade kernel to 2.2.15 and still
the problem is present :(

> > (2)  The computer now runs at about 1/6 the speed after the resume and the
> > "beeping" it makes is now also reduced to about 1/6 the original
> > speed.  So beeping errors under the console last ages.  I upgraded from
> > 2.2.14 to 2.2.15 to see if that helped but no.  The laptop becomes very
> > unstable and sometimes I get kernel panics and things don't really
> > run.  Hence why I need a reset.  I'm sure (somehow) that X is responsible
> > as as soon as it was installed everything started going haywire.  with
> > 3.3.6 all was okay (except one or two things, see later).
>
> Eek.  Something about registers, I'm guessing.

what registers?  The ones in the CPU?

> > (3)  Transparent icons and text do not work.  This is damn irritating
> > mainly as wmpinboard has the most nasty yellow background I have ever
> > seen.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  This is more a cosmetic touch but
> > would be nice to fix as its probably very easy too.  I've searched the X
> > source and documentation and been unable to find anything useful.  In deja
> > the DPMS (???) has been linked to the lack of transparent icons under X
> > 4.0 as KDE apparently reports this.
>
> I'd consider this annoying enough to call X not working, if it were me.

I can live with it.  Apparently I may need to get the DGA module
loaded.  However I have tried and it won't load :(  Or I think it
won't.  I tried a xdpyinfo but it says it hasn't loaded.

> That creepy palette-shift melting effect, or ugly crazy lines?  I think that
> one means horiz sync is being overflowed, the other, the vertical, but I
> don't know which one is which...
>
> I have in the past usually resorted to a long session of forcing X to use
> a specific modeline (expecting to have to bail via ^alt-backsp or Hard Power
> many times) until I get one that looks kinda okay, even if imperfect.  Then
> I go nuts with xvidtune.
>
> In a few cases I've found a laptop simply not caring about those so long as
> its dotclock is happy.
>
> Did you ever try framebuffer support, and if so, did it work, complain,
> suffer the same tiny disasters...?

Thats worth trying.....I'll give it a go.

> I know the above has a lot less direct answer than I usually offer, but
> I figured I'd give it a shot.

Its better someone actually gave hints (or even said they don't have a
clue on one or two things) rather than staying silent.

thanks lots

Alex

--
**       ((__))  Alexander "Jim diGriz" "Hubenko" Clouter