Problems installing potato via PCMCIA network

Hi list,

i am trying to change from RedHat Linux 5.2 (apollo) to Debian
(2.2/potato) on my IBM Thinkpad 755c (486DX4-75 with 20MB RAM).

This notebook has no local cdrom, so the only way to install it is via
network.
At all, i usually use the minimum install on my systems, so an
installation via ftp directly from the internet is ok for me (as long as
i may use the permanent internet connection in the company) - time does
not matter.

This is what i did until now:

Step 1 - Getting the disk images
- downloaded and created root and rescue floppy disk
- downloaded and created the 3 driver floppy disks
- downloaded and created the 11 base floppy disks
All images were downloaded from ftp.de.debian.org, for 1.44 MB floppy
disks.

Step 2 - Installation
- Boot from rescue disk with boot parameter "linux floppy=thinkpad"
- Changed to root disk
- Configured keyboard & diskspace (de-latin1-nodeadkeys, hda5 32MB swap,
hda6 550MB "/")
- then configured pcmcia which detects my Xircom network card, but shows
errors about "unresolved symbols in modules" for example "xirc2ps_cs.o",
so finally the install routine says: no network cards detected.
- someone said in this list in April or March, that you can try
"update-modules ; depmod -a ; /etc/init.d/pcmcia start", but it did not
work on my system.
- so all i can do is to finish the base installation from floppy disks,
resulting in a very low level debian system with no network.
(
Even "pump ; update-modules ; depmod -a ; /etc/init.d/pcmcia start" did not work after installing and rebooting the base system (BTW, installing LILO properly in the MBR did not work correct too, but i was able to help myself concernig this)

Does someone knows a way to get a running network via pcmcia on potato?

I installed RedHat 5.2 in the same way, but there it worked...

Regards,

Daniel