Getting Listed in Meta Search Engines

GETTING LISTED IN META SEARCH ENGINES

Welcome to TrafficPost, an informative newsletter about search engine placement. Are you interested in bringing more Internet traffic to your business? If you respond to this email we will provide a free analysis of your Web site.

Meta search engines such as Ask Jeeves and Hotbot have become popular search tools. This week's newsletter will talk about how meta search engines differ from regular search engines and how to get listed in them.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A META SEARCH ENGINE AND A REGULAR SEARCH ENGINE?
Meta search engines are very different from regular search engines. The main distinction is that meta search engines do not have their own databases. They do not review Websites and they do not index them. Instead a meta search engine will perform a query on many different search engines simultaneously. Your search terms are automatically sent to the databases of other search engines like Alta Vista, Fast, Look Smart, MSN, Open Directory, Overture, or Yahoo. The results pulled from those search engines are merged together and presented as one unified set of results.

ARE META SEARCH ENGINES BETTER THAN INDIVIDUAL SEARCH ENGINES?
This is a difficult question to answer. If you perform your search on a single search engine you will get a large number of results, but only Websites in that engine's database will appear. Since meta search engines give you access to multiple databases they often produce more varied results. Unfortunately, those results are also limited since often only the top hits from each of the databases appear in the meta search engine results.

The success of your Meta search query will depend on several factors. The status of each individual search engine will affect your query. Busy servers, timeouts and slow responses can all contribute to poor results on your search. Also, you cannot refine a search on a meta search engines since they do not handle complex search queries intelligently. They do not recognize search terms such as "and", "or", and "not". Finally, not all major engines are accessible by meta search engines. Google, for instance, says they do not allow their database to be searched by meta engines because they claim that it would drain their resources.

HOW DO I GET LISTED IN META SEARCH ENGINES?
To get your site listed in a meta search engine your site needs to have been indexed by the other search engines it pulls its results from. A good ranking in one search engine can thus do double duty by getting you good ranking on meta search engines too.

Below are links to some popular meta search engines:
http://www.ask.com
http://www.hotbot.com
http://www.dogpile.com
http://www.metacrawler.com
http://www.mamma.com
http://www.ixquick.com
http://www.highway61.com

OUR SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION PROGRAM
The best way to get noticed by the search engines is to use a professional search engine placement service like ours. We use expertise and technological know-how to get you top search engine placement:

1. Our professionally trained technicians help you to choose the 20 keyword phrases that best reflect the main focus of your site.

2. We use those keywords to optimize your meta tags and build over 100 HTML advertising pages designed to conform to the ranking criteria of the top search engines.

3. Since many search engines now use link popularity in their rankings, we employ link building strategies such as reciprocal link relationships with related businesses.

4. We manually submit your site to Web directories like the Open Directory Project. (We do not submit to spider-based search engine because research indicates that these types of search engines give preference to sites that their spiders find through links.)

5. Our online client reporting system puts tracking information at your fingertips so that you can monitor your site's progress.

6. Free customer support is always available for active clients through our toll free customer support hotline. Active clients can check their search engine keyword rankings with our online reporting system.

If you are not an active client and would like information on our Power Click Network, search engine optimization services, or a free keyword analysis of your Web site please respond to this email and include your name, phone number, and site URL.

SEARCH ENGINE NEWS FROM AROUND THE WEB

Google Launches Internet Coding Battle
http://www.silicon.com/news/500019/1/6062.html

IBM Unveils New Advanced Search Engine
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/corporatenews/view/49350/1html

Overture Enters Spain
http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/3078771

Five Common Search Engine Mistakes
http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=124936

LookSmart Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Proposed
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3077341