d-i pre-rc2 has support for russian installation broken
I just found that in d-i pre-rc2 images (linked from
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer) russian installation is
Some time ago, I've proposed installation of console-cyrillic package at
1st stage if russian language is selected. Then, code was added to
termwrap to use 'cyr' utility (provided by console-cyrillic) to set up
cyrillic console for base-config. If 'cyr' is not available, that code
just resets locale to C, to avoid attempts to show russian text on console
not capable to show it.
This used to work some weeks ago. Since then, I didn't have a change to
test, until yesterday. Yesterday I needed to install a system, and found
that d-i pre-rc2 images don't install console-cyrillic on 1st stage for
some reason. So there is no russian at 2nd stage. And this has a side
effect that I didn't notice before - base-config and tasksel run in C
locale, causing packages appropriate for russian system are not being
installed by default.
The resulting system (after installation) is configured to use russian
locale by default, but console can't show russian characxters (that are
printed by many tools, including dpkg), does not have packages needed for
russian installed. Saying in short - system is somewhat broken.
I think this is bad enough to require a fix before sarge. The fix should:
- restore installation of console-cyrillic at 1st stage,
- probably not reset LANG to C in termwrap if cyr is not available, but
only set LC_MESSAGES to C.