Moving from old sgml to po(4a) in quick-reference

Hi Osamu and all,

Stéphane Blondon noticed that the french translation of the Debian
(Quick) Reference is outdated.

The point is the format used for the english initial document changed
over time from sgml to asciidoc and so on.

That makes synchronising the translations quite difficult.

Po files are used by german and japanese teams, but are done with
respect to xml and not asciidoc (though po4a does support asciidoc :
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=498094 )

-> Which is the recommended format to build po files from ?

-> What is the best path to get po files ?

What about :
1/ determine the english version used for the last up to date
translation

2/ convert both files to the recommended format (asciidoc or XML ?)
@Osamu: which tool with which options were used ?

3/ po4a-gettextize from converted files to get $lang.po

4/ update the $lang.po with respect to the updated (asciidoc|XML)
english file.

I think getting a common process prior to english format conversion
is necessary to ease translations (I faced the same kind of trouble with
the release-notes, whose format changed).

Regards,

--
Simon Paillard