Re: Review required for dmaths package

Innocent De Marchi wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Oddly, I don't seem to have received a copy, but I saw the post in
the lists.d.o archive.

> I am the maintainer of the package dmaths
> (http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/dmaths.html).

(Binary package name "libreoffice-dmaths".)

> I'm working on a new version of the package for update to a new
> upstream relase and closing the bug report
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=620942.
>
> The description field for control file is this:
>
> Formula editor improvements for LibreOffice

That doesn't make it obvious that this package provides a plug-in (or
add-on or extension or whatever they call it) rather than a separate
app comparable to libreoffice-writer or libreoffice-math.

>  Dmaths is software that integrates with the (free) office suites

That was "un logiciel", right?  Package descriptions don't need to
mention the fact that they're software.  Besides, in main, freeness
can be taken for granted as the default.

>  LibreOffice and NeoOffice for Mac OS X. It aids scientists and other

The Debian package libreoffice-dmaths only integrates with software
that can be installed alongside it - and if you were going to mention
NeoOffice you might as well mention OpenOffice and StarOffice too.

>  people who wish to edit mathematical formulas, directly uses your
>  favorite drawing software and incorporates function graphs in a
>  document.

That's not great... going back to the original:

# Dmaths est un logiciel qui s'intègre aux suites bureautiques [...]
# et qui facilite l'édition de formules mathématiques et/ou
# scientifiques. Il permet également d'utiliser directement votre
# logiciel de dessin préféré et d'incorporer des graphes de fonctions
# dans un document.

...I'd suggest:

  This package integrates with LibreOffice to simplify the editing of
  mathematical and scientific formulas. It also allows you to use your
  favorite drawing software and include graphs of functions into a
  document.

Or since it's talking about things like dia, not xpaint, maybe:

  This package integrates with LibreOffice to simplify the editing of
  mathematical and scientific formulas. It also lets you import graphs
  of functions made in external diagram editors.

(It's odd that we're using en_US spellings when the package's name is
en_GB!  Does the "D" stand for one of the developer names?)