Re: Release notes addition for Xen support in Debian

Julien Cristau wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> for the immediately subsequent xen 4.0 install we should be telling
>> them to switch back to aptitude.
>
> Why would you do that?

I can't tell you the rationale; I'm just trying to follow the
recommendations in the paragraph Adam pointed at*:

# The preferred program for interactive package management from a
# terminal is aptitude. For a non-interactive command line interface
# for package management, it is recommended to use apt-get. apt-get
# is also the preferred tool for upgrades between major releases. If
# you are still using dselect, you should switch to aptitude as the
# official front-end for package management.

In other words, the officially recommended tool for Lenny-to-Squeeze
upgrades is apt-get, but for subsequent package management tasks on
the same commandline (such as installing Xen 4.0) it's aptitude.

Are you saying that the paragraph should be amended, or that I'm
misinterpreting it?  Maybe when it says "interactive" it means
something different from what I'm assuming.  Asking for confirmation
is "interactive", isn't it?

*) http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#pkgmgmt