How to extract the content of the Knoppix 5.3.0 minirt.gz ?

Hello Klaus,
I am very pleased to read that you will release very soon a new public Knoppix 5.3 release.
Thank You so much !
In order to customize your minirt and some features like: iso boot from ntfs, customized hostname,... I found out this problem: how do you extract the content of the Knoppix 5.3.0 minirt.gz ? Usually "gunzip initrd.gz" and "cpio -imvd -I ../initrd" does the job but not this time:
Each files of the minirt cpio archive file contains a leading "/"
which makes the data of the minirt cpio archive to be stored in the "root"
instead of the current directory, overriding the system files of the running system if logged as a super user. I cannot find any cpio option to override the leading "/". Could you please help ?
Thank you and Best Regards,
Gilles