5.2.x development (was: Re: help finding july c't magazine)

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:09:16AM -0700, Ryan Finnie wrote:
> On 9/24/07, V. Mark Lehky <mark.lehky@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> > > It's absolutely no use to get the magazine version of Knoppix. Version
> > > 5.2.1 will be out today, as tomorrow is the beginning of autumn.
> > > You'll certainly remember that 5.2.1 was supposed to be out in April.
> > > Then it was May, then it was some time this summer.
> > >
> > > So now, this is it... I suppose.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on this. I can't find anything
> > official on KNOPPIX.com. Is there in fact a release coming out soon?
> >
> > Thanx, VML.
>
> I suspect Gilles was bring sarcastic, holding Klaus to a "sometime
> this summer" statement.

I think so, too. ;-)

Ok, it wasn't summer, I apologize. If you are used to get flooded with
work, you may understand that spare time projects get delayed, sometimes
for months. Gilles may even suggest "years", but I don't think so.

But at least one success report: Since today, we finally have a cloop
(2.622) that works with Kernel 2.6.22 and (probably) above. We are
staying with cloop, since it's filesystem-independent and (at least in
the previous versions) less likely to crash on physical read errors.

As you may have noticed, cloop 2.06 stopped working with Kernel 2.6.22,
apparently because of different queue handling and locking issues. The
new version still needs some verification and cleanups, but so far it
appears to run stable, now using a kernel thread for the "real" work of
reading and decompression.

Solving this has removed one of the main obstacles that kept us from
upgrading Knoppix to the current kernel, and to make a new release.

Some sponsoring by interest groups provided, we plan to release the
ADRIANE Audio desktop as a live CD based on MiniKnoppix, still within
this year, which may also allow us to work on the Knoppix base in
parallel. I hope to be able to release all live systems simultaneously.
But I can't give you a date yet. It's ready when it's ready. If you
want fixed release dates, please consider Ubuntu. ;-)