Wireless cards not responding (Re: [Fwd: Your message to debian-knoppix has been rejected])

Hello Sebastian,

Since you asked "anyone", I assumed you originally wanted to post your
question on the list, and write a cc.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:36:54PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I have duly remastered a 4.02, and its all lovely. With, sadly, two
>
> exceptions:
>
>  a) both the virgin 4.02 and my remaster work fine on a wired network; but
>   with a wireless connection, they both go dead. The DHCP connection is
>   made,   an IP address is assigned, and so on, but then no response from anything.
>   How can this possibly be? What on earth can it be a symptom of?

It can be wrong interrupt routing caused by faulty ACPI BIOS or APIC.

Try booting with

knoppix acpi=off noapic pnpbios=off pci=bios

Sometimes, a BIOS update helps, too. Then you don't even need to enter
boot options.

In case you have a ralink-based wireless card, this is known not to work
with the current rt2xxx-drivers and an SMP-enabled kernel. I should
probably remove that driver until there is a driver version that
actually works.  :-(

>  b) when I shut down my remaster, it goes to halt and then stops. No
>    nice prompt to remove the CD and so on. The virgin 4.02 works fine.

Did you, by any chance, replace the Knoppix version of sysvinit (which
unmounts the CD and asks the user to hit return) by the original
sysvinit from Debian?