[debian-knoppix] Radeon 9700 Problems and hacking knx_hdinstall

Hi everyone,
   I've been using Knoppix for various tasks for the last few months, and I
really like it. I do have one problem though. While Knoppix boots alright on
my new system with a Radeon 9700 (R300), it seems to do something to the
VRAM. I must leave my system off for at least 30 sec. after using Knoppix or
the video card simply won't work.

   This does not happen in Mandrake 9.x, Red Hat 8, SuSE 8.1, Lycoris
Desktop/LX, or Ark Linux. Any ideas what might be causing this?

   Also, is it possible (and fairly easy) to build a custom Knoppix disk? I'd
like to build one with perhaps some customized settings. Speaking of which,
is there any way to hack knx_hdinstall so that it won't uninstall all of the
Knoppix tools? It'd be nice to still have kudzu, netcardinstall, etc., after
installing to the hard disk.

  Thanks,
       Tim