Re: [PATCH 1/2] lockdep,rtmutex,bug: Show taint flags on error
- To: Ben Hutchings <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Ingo Molnar <email@example.com>, Nick Bowler <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Greg KH <email@example.com>, Dave Jones <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Rusty Russell <email@example.com>, Randy Dunlap <firstname.lastname@example.org>, LKML <email@example.com>, Debian kernel maintainers <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] lockdep,rtmutex,bug: Show taint flags on error
- From: Peter Zijlstra <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:48:29 +0100
- Message-id: <1321519709.27735.13.camel@twins>
- In-reply-to: <20111116215236.GD3366@decadent.org.uk>
- References: <1319773015.6759.30.camel@deadeye> <20111116215236.GD3366@decadent.org.uk>
On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 21:52 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 04:36:55AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Currently lock debugging is disabled when the kernel is tainted, with
> > a few exceptions. It is already recognised that this can be useful
> > for staging modules (TAINT_CRAP), but that also goes for out-of-tree
> > modules (TAINT_OOT_MODULE) so long as core kernel developers don't
> > have to spend time debugging them. Also, there are several reasons
> > for tainting that are unlikely to introduce false locking bug reports
> > (e.g. TAINT_FIRMWARE_WORKAROUND).
> > Instead of disabling lock debugging, show the taint flags in all
> > lockdep and rtmutex-debug error messages.
So this is two patches in one. I took the last part, the printing of the
taint flags thing, not the first part.
I did a small patch adding TAINT_FIRMWARE_WORKAROUND to the list of
TAINTS that shouldn't disable lockdep.
As for OOT_MODULE, with staging the only reason not to merge a module is
it being the wrong license and I really can't be arsed about OOT stuff
anyway, so no.