Re: Xen/OpenVZ out-of-tree module builds and ABI
On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 11:22 +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:54:30AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > (dropping firstname.lastname@example.org)
> > On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 09:10 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 19:34 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > > Correct. We try hard to avoid ABI breakage after a freeze and in stable
> > > > updates and we have so far succeeded with the 'standard' images, but we
> > > > have given up on a stable ABI for the OpenVZ and Xen featuresets.
> > >
> > > I can't speak for OpenVZ but I think we are unlikely to pull in a
> > > complete new drop of the Xen pvops patch now that we are frozen (Bastian
> > > -- what do you think?) so in theory we can maintain the ABI we have
> > > today for future uploads. That would still mean that there had been
> > > multiple different things calling themselves ABI 5 in Squeeze during
> > > development but at least it would have one meaning in the actually
> > > released version of Squeeze.
> > Would anyone object if I added ABI files for the Xen flavour based on
> > 2.6.32-26? I think we can keep it stable from here now that we are
> > frozen etc. Bastian, what do you think?
> no it is your decision.
> waldi might not be reachable atm as beeing on the Google Summer Code
Thanks. I suppose there's no great rush before -27 so I'll wait a bit
and see if Bastian becomes reachable.
> > Should I refresh the rest while I am there?
> I was about to do that in a short while, waiting for latest dannf
> upload to propagate everywhere. also for cleaning up the ignore list.
I'll leave this bit to you then.
If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will.