Re: Call for Testing: initramfs-tools 0.97

* Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> [Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 05:03:02PM +0200]:
> Michael Prokop <mika@debian.org> wrote on 2010-06-18 23:48:

> > we - the initramfs-tools maintainers in Debian - want to provide a
> > solid initramfs-tools version for squeeze. The new release 0.97 is
> > expected to fix many longstanding problems. It would be great if we
> > could receive feedback from testers.

> > The new release is available from Debian/unstable and is expected to
> > install without problems in at least lenny, squeeze and sid:

> >   http://cdn.debian.net/debian/pool/main/i/initramfs-tools/initramfs-tools_0.97_all.deb
> >   SHA256:56eb56d472d0dd24c8f2fd030222586e258ec882b716f02d114865cef9c19639

> > No matter how your partition layout looks like (rootfs on lvm,
> > crypto, sw-raid,...), if you're booting on physical hardware or a
> > virtualized system (Xen, openvz, kvm,...) - please give it a shot
> > and report any possible problems.

> I have checked the scripts and I was very happy to see that lilo is
> furthermore supported by initramfs-tools (script update-initramfs).
> Can I be sure that this support stay in your package? Because of changes
> in some other packages this would be nearly an existential question.

Sorry for the delay in answering, we discussed that in the team.
Conclusion: no, we - as in initramfs-tools maintainers - won't
support that. The mechanism will change with run-parts execution of
/etc/initramfs hooks - the bootloader will add initramfs hooks.

As explanation for the "no" see thread with subject "[DRAFT] Policy
for Linux kernel, initramfs, boot loader update process"
debian-devel. (I'm aware that you - Joachim - already mailed in that
thread and are aware of it therefore, I'm mentioning it here JFTR.)

regards,
-mika-