Re: Building vanilla kernel .debs

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 09:53:58PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

> Not in a vanilla kernel tree, I didn't dream of .deb support being
> included upstream.

it was lingering for quite some time, massaged it for 2.6.31.
actually submitted by Wichert Akkerman in 2003 upstream!

> Is there any documentation about which features are
> available?

not yet, as currently it is dead simple, but in the work indeed.

On build it respects DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME for changelog and control
file generation. If firmware is also build you get a seperated firmware
package.

On install eventual hook scripts in /etc/kernel will be executed.

> For this to be a make-kpkg replacement, I'd need the
> possibility to run the actual build process as non-root user while
> using fakeroot to build the .deb,

done in linux-next kbuild tree heading for 2.6.33.

> append a string to the version  number and a debian revision.

if you set KDEB_PKGVERSION you can set both, the debian revision
is controled by .version.