Re: Debian extra modules

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 04:58:15PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> As discussed at LPC, Debian currently has the following extra modules:
>
> aufs2
> -----
>
> A union filesystem implementation; used by the Debian and Ubuntu live
> CDs.  The 'standalone' (modular) version could be a candidate for
> staging.  Although the documentation says that it requires many
> additional symbols to be exported, currently it only requires
> release_open_intent().
>
> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/aufs
> Upstream: http://aufs.sourceforge.net/

This will never go upstream the two different union-fs-like solutions
will obsolete it.  One is in-kernel, and one is using FUSE.  Both should
be finished in a few months.

> batman
> ------
>
> A mesh routing system.  Maybe a candidate for staging; try asking
> upstream.
>
> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/batmand
> Upstream: http://www.open-mesh.net/browser/trunk/batman/linux/modules
>
> batman-adv
> ----------
>
> A mesh bridging system.  As for batman.
>
> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/batman-adv-kernelland
> Upstream: http://www.open-mesh.net/browser/trunk/batman-adv-kernelland

Please post this code, if it's a module, and the developers want it
upstream, I'll be glad to take it in staging.

> loop-aes
> --------
>
> A replacement for the loop block driver adding optional encryption.
> This is to be replaced by compatible modes in dm-crypt.

Ok, can be dropped.

> lzma
> ----
>
> LZMA decompression functions.  Already replaced by
> lib/decompress_unlzma.c.

Can be dropped.

> speakup
> -------
>
> Speech synthesiser drivers and screen reader support for the console.
> Maybe a candidate for staging; try asking upstream.  I have heard that
> it has security flaws but have not reviewed the code myself.
>
> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/speakup
> Upstream: http://linux-speakup.org/speakup.html

It's already upstream (well the core is, the individual drivers are
slowly being forward ported to the new interface.)  So you can drop
this.

> tp-smapi
> --------
>
> ThinkPad platform driver using 'SMAPI'.  Possibly not a candidate for
> staging as it seems to replace existing drivers.  (Why don't people just
> send patches?!)
>
> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/tp-smapi
> Upstream: http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/

I still have no idea why people are developing this code :(

> virtualbox-ose, virtualbox-ose-guest
>
> Not candidates for staging.

But are candidates for the big round bin in the corner, that's some bad
code...

thanks,

greg k-h