Re: 2.6.19, kernel-package problems and what are our plans for etch ...
On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:31:22AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> And Bastian is decidetly anti make-kpkg and wants to remove all
> make-kpkg use from linux-2.6 as stated several times now. You can see
> beginings of that in the xen kernels.
That happens if the same problems happens over and over again: kpkg
fails silent instead of producing errors. The following reasons was
identified, some of them fixed. This errors are now catched by the abi
check because the complete output is missing:
- More than one entry in the Architecture line, the code just
explicitely ignored anything after the first entry.
- Broken EXTRAVERSION.
- 2.6.19-rcX failed on the autobuilders and for Sven, not for me. So it
failes if the environment is not as it wants.
There are other problems like:
* It is possible to interfere with the build from a user config.
* Build time raises by about 30% at worst.
- build target needs 30 minutes on ppc.
- binary-arch target needs another 30 minutes. My own routine needs
less than 10.
Only a fool fights in a burning house.
-- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown