Re: Preparing linux-2.6 2.6.18-1

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 03:38:50PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> Second: this release contains ALL binary firmware blobs shipped
> upstream, even those we kept pruning since the day Herbert Xu removed
> them the first time in 2004.

What in the world?  Why would you do that anyway?

> Initially, we wanted to wait for a positive GR vote outcome before doing
> this step, but as every day existing GR proposals are changed and new ones
> made, this seems to be going to be delayed indefinitely, which is not
> acceptable from a release point of view.

Neither is introducing regressions in the freeness of our kernel packages
relative to sarge.  Indeed, taking such a step is likely to lead many voters
to think that the only way to prevent the kernel team from filling our
kernel packages with as much non-free code as they can stuff into it is by
voting down any GRs that would relax our stance on firmware.  *THAT* would
cause release delays.

> If the release and debian-installer teams don't object, we will upload
> an unpruned linux-2.6 2.6.18-1 to unstable today.

I do object to the un-pruning of non-free material from the kernel packages
without giving the project a chance first to consider how this changes the
status wrt the DFSG.  In particular, this totally undermines any claim that
Debian is asymptotically approaching DFSG compliance in its releases.

Is there at least a list somewhere of what these re-added bits are?