Re: non-free firmware

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 05:14:02PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Sven Luther (sven.luther@wanadoo.fr) [060108 17:00]:
> > So, now, what are you going to do about it, remove the kernel from main and
> > into non-free :)
>
> As this is a release blocker, not release until this is fixed? (And try
> to search for someone who can work on this issue, perhaps also say
> something in the next release update.)

I believe in 2 month or so it will be the right moment to tackle this. I feel
that, as i said on d-r, the work needing done on the packaging infrastructure
goes like this :

  - prepare the kernel so it builds the module .udeb in a way satisfying to
    the d-i people.

  - get the out-of-tree module policy up, and make sure each such package
    respect it. This include triggering a binNMU on the buildds for a new
    ABI version for those module package, and having them build binary modules
    for each kernel flavour.

  - get the third-party patches situation solved neatly

I believe we can tackle the non-free modules just after the out-of-tree
situation is solved neatly, but i am working on the .udeb situation right now,
or more exactly on a newer better split-config handling which will make .udeb
generation easier.