Re: [kernel] r4732 - in dists: sid trunk

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 08:30 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 08:02:35AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I have another proposal, and it involves symlinks. Simon has shown that using
> > symlinks inside svn is fully supported by svn, so let's try that.
>
> This is incorrect. Symlinks are dumb pointers.
>
> > The plan goes as follows :
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.12
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.14
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.15-rcX
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.15
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6-git
>
> WHAT does this fix, except that version disappear faster and you go into
> a merge mess I wanted to avoid.

Why do you say that versions disappear faster?  I don't understand that
statement.

And what is the merge mess you are trying to avoid?  I know that keeping
multiple trees in sync is complex, but I don't see how this introduces
complexity.

> > This should solve everyone's problem, i believe.
>
> Not until someone discribed what the problem is that this should solve.
> The problem is, that someone insists into removing the _main
> development_ tree.

I think we may just have different ways of looking at this.  I spend my
time porting patches between trees, so to me, every upstream release
that's still maintained is logically a separate branch.  Maybe the
current scheme makes more sense for you folks working on the actual
packaging.