Re: Why I wanted Sven to fuck himself (Was: Care to comment on plan for module building?)

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 07:49:24PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:45:30 +0100
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > I still don't get why Jonas so suddenly took of with you and told me
> > to go fuck myself
>
> Let me illustrate through quoting IRC, since you seem to prefer that:

No, this is no excuse to being rude. I don't know, maybe you speak another
kind of english than me, or have some other cultural bias against this kind of
language, but i am seriously offended.

> This is what directly led to my insulting you:
>
> 12:09 < jonas> svenl: Can we please focus on the topic?
> 12:10 < jonas> svenl: When who did (not) do what is irrelevant
> 12:10 < jonas> svenl: when what did (not) work is more interesting
> 12:10 < svenl> jonas: there is nothing to focus, Manoj is going to
> either dictate his stuff unto us or we are going to drop k-p, there is
> no middle way possible. 12:11 < jonas> svenl: End of discussion then.

Upto here, well it was normal you have the right to your opinion as i do to
mine.

> Go fuck yourself. Hard!

This on the other hand was severly misplaced and i expect apologizes from your
part, not justifying yourself like you did above.

> So why am I that rude suddently, you ask? Well, let's go a little back
> and find out why I asked you to change focus:
>
> 11:40 < Manoj> and kernel package ensure that  /lib/modules/$(uname
> - -r)/build always works 11:41 < svenl> Manoj: except for official kernel
> packages, riught ? 11:41 < Manoj> whether you have installed a kernel
> image on the local machine, or just have a kernel headers installed,
> k-p packages always ensure that  /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build  works.
> 11:41 < jonas> so how to run a kernel without installing it? 11:41 <
> Manoj> even for official kernels 11:41 < svenl> Manoj: not for official
> Manoj> kernels. 11:41 < svenl> Manoj: since you are out to break it.
> 11:41 < Manoj> no matter what,  /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build always
> works 11:41 < Manoj> svenl: grow up, and get a clue.
> ..
> 11:42  * svenl ignores Manoj.

Well, i may have gotten out of hand with Manoj and insisted too much, but in
no way have i been incorect and insulting, the worse i said was that Manoj was
stubborn, even saying that it was not necessarily a bad thing. This is no
excuse for bad-wording me like above, and i cannot work further with you like
this.

> Why on earth do you repeat yourself instead of clarify _why_ you
> believe Manoj makes exceptions regarding official kernels when he
> himself claims it "always works"?

Because the above was lead up by over a day of email exchanges here, where i
argued my point, provided reasonabable arguments, which where taken again by
folk like hch, willy or fjp this evening if i remember well, and Manoj did not
give any single real argument apart from the "i have been doing this since 96
and it will stay so". Also, you where not there when he pissed off lennert in
the most ugly way when he dared say he agreed with me.

> Ok, so Manoj gives up on you and calls you childish. I agree that your
> discussion technique is indeed childish.

And his is not ? I don't understand why you picked me out for your insults,
while Manoj did nothing different, and even worse never gave a single argument
when asked, and resorted to insults. I think your discernement is lacking on
this, but then given the way you insulted me, i guess i should not have
wondered why you sided with Manoj on this. Someone is insulting someone else,
so let's join the bully.

> (if Manoj would have reason to believe that you did not understand that
> "uname -r" implies "works only on running kernel", then I would call
> his discussion technique mean - but I do not have reason to believe so)

This claim alone is prove that you have no understanding of the situation. We
never argued about the uname -r, but about the build symlink. Sure, you can
get the version number with uname -r, but if you are not running the kernel,
you obvisouly need to know the version you want to build modules for, so where
is the problem.

This is obtained in official kernels by the flavours file, and even
kernel-package passes this info to the dir.d scripts so you could envisage
building modules at kernel install time just fine.

So, you had no clue, you saw him insulting me, you decided to join.

And just to be curious, can you please cite a single technical argument by
Manoj ? I saw no such thing.

Sven Luther