Re: [kernel] r4732 - in dists: sid trunk

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 00:23 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 03:46:19PM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> >   Please stop with these unannounced (and seemingly arbitrary) moves.
> > They add unnecessary confusion and I (and likely others) find it
> > frustrating.
>
> Hu? It disappeared without notice.

If I'd been working on the tree at the time, I probably would've whined
then too.

A little more ranting... I don't like that we're using a temporal layout
because it means moves are always happening.  svn lets us move stuff,
which is a great feature, but the way we're using it is an abuse of this
feature (imo).  Not only is it a pain for development when the world
changes behind your back (sometimes even making svn updates fail), but
it also leaves a confusing trail behind.  I feel sorry for anyone who
tries to dig through the archive trying to make sense of the history,
and anyone who tries to convert our repository into another source
control system.

To be fair, I didn't dislike the scheme at first - and it doesn't seem
too bad for more static stuff like sarge-security, etc.  But when things
are under constant development (dists/trunk, dists/sid) moves are just
happening too often.

To avoid being one that complains without providing an alternate
suggestion - what if we tracked things by upstream kernel version?

linux-2.6/2.6.12/
linux-2.6/2.6.14/

And if people want to have the dist information stored in svn, use
symlinks:

linux-2.6/2.6.12
linux-2.6/sid -> 2.6.12
linux-2.6/2.6.15