Re: 2.6.13, experimental and 2.6.14-rc ...
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 06:01:53PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 06:18:40AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have just been thinking about something this morning.
> > We apparently need to wait for 2.6.13 to be uploaded for some time yet for the
> > debian-installer beta release to happen. So, i wondered if we would not be
> > better off by forgetting about 2.6.13, and make a 2.6.14-rc upload to
> > experimental asap, and work on that for a while, while keeping 2.6.12 in
> > etch/unstable ? This would allow to perfection the initramfs-tools/yaird
> > migration and then come up with a 2.6.14 upload the day of the upstream
> > release hopefully.
> > Anyway, i will be away and probably netless the next week, so i just wanted to
> > throw out the idea about this before i leave.
> I'm cool with using experimental if we have to stick with 2.6.12
> in etch/sid in the short term. But do we have any idea how long this
> is going to be. Are we talking in terms of days, weeks or months?
> In the case of months, I guess that means we should be looking at
> a fresh 2.6.12, or does that have a negative impact on the
> packages in testing situation?
Well, the constraint is with the debian-installer folk on this, but i get the
impression that it is at most a week or so, but better ask Franz Pop about it.
> As for 2.6.13 vs 2.6.14-rc, thats really a bit of a moot point.
> My feeling is that by they time we get 2.6.13 ready, 2.6.14 will
> probably be out, so aiming at 2.6.14-rc for now might be a good idea.
> But I'm really more concerned about making sure that the > 2.6.12
> release happens. Walidi and Dilinger were doing some fine work in that
> area, but it seems they are busy and not much is happening.
Ok, that seems to correspond to my own feeling, so let's try to do a 2.6.13
upload ASAP to experimental. I am also busy this week, but we should go ahead
on that next WE.
> What is the status of replacing initrd. Do we actually have a solution
> that works across a wide range of architectres? Wide enough for
> an upload to experimental? Wide enough for unstable and testing?
An upload to experimental will allow to sort this out as we go. We need to
test it, and people can sort out yaird/initramfs on their own arch with
known-to-work packages in experimental.
I would prefer to have real feedback for the unstable/testing upload though,
which is something we will only get by making the experimental upload.
Alternatively we can just upload 2.6.13 as-is to experimental now, and fix
things as they go, and migrate it to 2.6.14-rc once people get time, but it is
important to get packages out to experimental.
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
> Wanadoo vous informe que cet e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail.
> Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.