Re: linux-2.6 - subarch and patches

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:55:12 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> linux-2.6 currently "supports" something called subarch. It should be
> used for incompatible patches. This is needed for m68k and I think mips.
>
> Problems with this
> - mostly unimplemented,
> - namingschema differs from anything else: linux-image-$subarch-2.6-$flavour.
>
> Proposal:
> Replace with patch definitions.

I'm in the Christoph school of thought; I'd rather see archs get their
patches upstream.  I'm willing to tolerate subarchs (and get them working
if no one else does) after a rather long argument w/ Sven.  If you want to
implement your proposal in a branch and get it working 100%, we can
replace the subarch stuff w/ it.  I would recommend doing it sooner rather
than later, however; if I get around to doing the subarch stuff, and it
works, I won't be overly excited about dealing w/ more package renaming.

I must admit that I do prefer your proposal's naming convention for header
packages, however.