Re: Sarge Sound Problems

On Wed, 2005-01-06 at 19:49 -0500, Bill Allombert wrote:

Bill.  The powers that be have suggested taking this off testing.

Most of the stuff below repeats things I have already posted but this
should bring everything up to date.

> > > Turned the sound back OFF and rebooted and it has been fine ever
> since.
> > > The CD burner has returned.
>
> This looks more like a conflict between the sound card and the CD
> burner
> than a kernel problem. Specifically I find very strange the CD burner
> would not work with White-Box Linux. What kind of CD burner do you
> have
> that won't work with a 2.4 kernel with ide-scsi ?

Could be pebcak ... the cd *does* work with 2.6.8-13 and -16 and 2.4 is
somewhat historic ...

> Have you checked the BIOS and your hardware ?

Check how?

The machine was set up by a h/w tech who knows much more than I and
worked perfectly for 18 months.  All I changed was turning on the sound
chip (i believe i may have asked him to disable it in the first place).

All the IRQ settings etc seem to be automated although there does seem
to be some ability to control them.  I would have to spend some time
doing research to figure out what to do and I really don't have it at
the moment.

I am told that everyone "knows" ALSA is flaky in 2.6.8 and I did notice
this when I was researching whether to go with ALSA or OSS but it
initially worked fine.  For sound I am recommended 2.6.11 and that seems
sensible.  However, it now seems that the system can crash with the
sound OFF.

The common thread is that evolution is usually running and that all the
crashes have occured when the focus is in either evolution or mozilla.
But evolution is known to have some memory leaks ... (gnome lists).

At this point a solution for me is to go with 2.6.11 but someone else
reported some hard crashes recently on debian-testing and I see some
other problems reported with 2.6.8-16.

Perhaps this cannot be fixed before the release.  Perhaps it is
unfixable but will not affect too many users.  I would prefer to be able
to use Sarge as released for the next few months.  I have been able to
do this with *every* public release of debian since 0.93r6.

I am pretty busy for the rest of this week (as long as the system does
not crash to often :-) but I will revisit it next week and see what I
can do.

--
--gh